Happy Australia Day
Happy Australia Day
Happy Australia Day! Who doesn’t love to celebrate our National Day with a sanga wrapped in bread draped in tommy sauce, or a beer and steak to match? Well these days it may even include something gluten & dairy free! Here are some recipes for you to share! Why not celebrate with healthy options.
Makes: 1 servings
- 1 English muffin, split, toasted and buttered
- 1 teaspoon VEGEMITE
- 1 egg, poached or scrambled
- 1 cheddar or hard cheese single
- SPREAD buttered muffins or toast with VEGEMITE and top with scrambled eggs and cheese. (Poached eggs may also be used.)
from Vegemite Downunder
Gluten, Dairy Free and truly yummy! You just gotta try these!
Lamb Kofta – Makes 8
- 500 gm lamb mince (can use beef if desired)
- ½ small brown onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or crushed
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- ½ teaspoon sumac or coriander ground
- Pinch Salt and Pepper
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers for one hour in water (stops meat sticking when cooking).
- Well combine in a bowel, the mince, onion, garlic, spices, and parsley.
- Shape ¼ cup of the mince mixture into 8 long sausages. Thread each sausage and wrap around a skewer.
- Place on large tray or plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes to allow the flavours to develop and for the meat to set.
- Heat an oiled BBQ plate on high heat. Add kofta skewers. Reduce heat to low. Cook turning occasionally for 10minutes or until the meat is fully cooked.
- Transfer to a large baking tray. Cover & rest for 5 minutes whilst preparing a Greek Salad to serve. Serve with plain yoghurt or tzatziki and Greek Salad
Thai Turkey Burgers
- 1 cup sweet potato, grated
- ½ cup carrot, grated
- ¼ onion, brown, finely chopped
- 1 small piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried lemongrass or fresh grated (optional)
- 500 gm organic turkey, chicken or fish minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Lightly sauté onion, lemongrass and ginger until transparent.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Form patties and place on a lined or greased oven dish or tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked. Serve with light green salad and/or your gluten free burger bun.
High prebiotic Four bean salad –2 serves (~280g per serve)
- 1 can (400g) 4 bean mix drained and rinsed
- ½ large Spanish onion diced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1/3 cup bunch parsley chopped including some stems
- 2 tablespoons mint chopped
- 1 pinch Celtic or Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp (2g) cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 whole lettuce leaves to use as a wrap
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and toss lightly.
- Serve with whole lettuce leaves to use as a wrap or the Lamb Kofta.
Jalapeño Coconut Bread with Mustard Parsley Butter – Makes one loaf
The Jalapeño bread
- 4 organic whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons semi-melted coconut oil (softened)
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated
- Zest of 1 small lime
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeños (pickled)
- 1 teaspoons gluten free baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (lemon juice can also be used)
- Big pinch of Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca powder/flour (also known as arrowroot powder or potato flour)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup water
The Chipotle Butter
- 3 tablespoon semi-soft salted or unsalted organic butter
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon organic Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes or pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt (for unsalted butter only)
- Preheat oven to 170-175°C/240°F. Grease a loaf tin with coconut oil and line the bottom and sides with baking paper.
- Whisk eggs in bowel until well combined.
- Add grated carrot, melted coconut oil, lime zest and jalapeños and stir through.
- Place baking soda in a small cup and pour over the apple cider vinegar. This will activate and rise. Pour the foamy baking soda mixture into the batter and mix through until well combined.
- Add garlic, generous pinch of salt, tapioca flour and coconut flour and whisk together. Coconut flour will soak up a lot of the moisture. Add about a quarter cup of water or just a little less and whisk through again.
- Spread mixture the tin and flatten slightly on the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing (as it will be too soft). Remove from the tin by pulling the baking paper sides and leave to cool on a cutting board.
- To make the butter, place all ingredients into a bowl mash together until well combined. Serve immediately.
Hummus Dip (to serve with the Jalapeno Bread)
- Rinse and drain 2 tins of chick peas. Place into a blender with juice of half a lemon. Add 2 tablespoons of unhulled tahini and blend until creamy. Add extra water as required to make into the dipping consistency. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt. Check and add more salt, tahini or lemon as desired.
- Serve with a sprinkle of paprika and a swirl olive oil.
- Serve with crunchy vegetable sticks – carrot, celery, zucchini and snow peas.
Best Ever Gluten & Dairy Free Lamingtons
Make the Best Bean Chocolate Cake first!
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 cup or 240 g cooked black beans (or 1×400 g/14 oz can black beans, drained)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup or 80 g raw or coconut sugar, or malt syrup
- 3 Tablespoons organic cacao powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup or 50 g dark chocolate 70%
- 1 teaspoon espresso shot coffee
- 1/2 vanilla pod, scraped or 1 teaspoon of quality vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F/175 °C. Grease and line a rectangle or square tin with baking paper.
- In a blender combine all of the ingredients, except the dark chocolate. Blend until it is smooth and free of any lumps.
- Pour the batter into the lined tin. And yes the batter is very liquid. Chop the dark chocolate and spread it across the surface, some of the chunks should fall into the batter or else help it with a teaspoon, in order to get chocolate inside the cake as well.
- Bake the cake for approximately 35 min, and set aside to cool completely before removing it from the pan.
To make Lamingtons:
- Cut cake into small square portions of your choice.
- Icing: Add quality dark chocolate (100g) with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into a bowl and place over a saucepan with simmer water (do not get water in the mix). Add 1-2 tablespoons of coconut milk/almond milk. Heat gently until fully melted and combined.
- Dip each piece of cake into the chocolate and place into desiccated coconut (approx. 1-2 cups, organic if poss). Toss the cake into the coconut and place on baking paper. Set in fridge for at least one hour before serving.
- Lamingtons will keep in the fridge, up to 5 days, and it will keep moist and delicious.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yoghurt or eat straight up! Happy Australia Day!
Sesame Bliss Balls
Deepak Chopra’s Sesame Bliss Balls promote a healthy digestion and purify the body and mind.
- 1 cup toasted sesame seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger powder
- 2 inches fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2½ tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
Method: Place all the ingredients except for the sesame seeds in a mixer and wiz until smooth. With your hands roll the mixture into small balls. Then pour the toasted sesame seeds on a chopping board and roll the balls in it to top. Place the balls on a plate and refrigerate until hard.
To toast Sesame Seeds: place over low heat in a dry saucepan, stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Toast until golden and cool before tossing.
Enjoy our National Australia Day celebrations!
Consultations with Karen – Book today – email@example.com or here